Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A First Hand Look at the Self Care Workshop

Growing up with both parents working, I've experienced first hand the work / life balance and the decisions and choices people make to create this balance. When I first entered the work force (in Corporate America) I thought I understood the theory behind this balance - meaning I would dedicate time to work and then time to myself separately, creating a balanced life. However, when I transitioned to the nonprofit sector and discovered the passion I could have for work, that work / life balance theory wasn't as clear to me anymore.

What happens when you love what you do and the line between work and life isn't clearly defined? Working for Volunteer San Diego and living out the mission of meaningful service outside of work hours made me start rethinking the theory. When talking to my fellow young nonprofit professional peers, they were experiencing this too: the blur of balance. How can something balance when there aren't defined things to balance?

When the idea to partner with the Red Lotus Society for the Self Care YNPNSD Professional Development Workshop came up, I got really excited! Then I met Dave Macek (Executive Director of Red Lotus Society and Facilitator of upcoming Self Care Workshop) for the first time and the ideas between him and our Professional Development Committee just started flowing. It was obvious this was a hot topic and bringing our peers together to share and create a holistic approach to self care was guaranteed to be a workshop I would not want to miss.

At our upcoming workshop, we will engage in a unique dialogue on the importance of self care; break through any obstacles preventing you to creating a healthier and happier YOU; and identify small steps to take you in that direction while sharing resources and tips of successful self care practices.

I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with you all and continuing to build on my own personal self care and live a life I love in work, play, family, friends and more.

Many thanks to Jaci Feinstein for her contribution to this blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed and posted based on approval. We encourage comments of all kinds including constructive criticism and debate. Please contact info@ynpnsandiego.org for any questions.