Monday, June 7, 2010

Board Member Spotlight: Mariel Berry

What are your roles within the nonprofit community (staff, volunteer, philanthropist, etc.)? Currently, I work at San Diego State University as the Associate Director of Development for the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts. I spend most of my volunteer time with YNPN San Diego. I am about to start as a new volunteer with the Hearts & Hands Doula Program at UCSD Medical Center, assisting and supporting women during childbirth. I've also spent significant time volunteering as a coach for Girls on the Run, and as an AmeriCorps Promise Fellow at Volunteer San Diego.

Tell us about what you’re currently involved with in YNPN San Diego. I sit on the Advisory Board and serve as the Secretary on our Executive Committee. I co-chair the Partnerships Committee and help lead our Community Council, a group of tenured nonprofit leaders that help support the Advisory Board and launch of new YNPN programs. I've also been very involved with shaping YNPN's new Mentorship Program.

What advice would you give emerging leaders who are interested in the nonprofit sector? Carry confidence in what you bring to the table-- your skills, abilities and opinions. Don't be afraid to get involved, especially if you're passionate about the cause. Getting involved, no matter what your role, will benefit and help make change in our community.

Just for fun – what’s the best joke you’ve ever heard? Hmm. This is a tough one.... It's actually more of a riddle but here goes---"Railroad crossing without any cars, can you spell that without any cars." My Dad stumped me for a solid day with this one when I was little! I still enjoy sharing it with new people...and stumping them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will be reviewed and posted based on approval. We encourage comments of all kinds including constructive criticism and debate. Please contact info@ynpnsandiego.org for any questions.